Taking care of a newborn is hard. Really hard.
I don’t think “easy” and “newborn” actually belong in the same sentence. Taking care of a newborn is anything but easy. I have amazing family and friends who made sure we had food for the first two weeks and helped out a ton. They were more useful than anything on this list! These are some things that made my life a tiny bit easier those first grueling six weeks:
1. A Moby Wrap. I don’t know why I never had one with Elijah. It’s amazing. Emaline really likes to be held. So the Moby is so great for when I want to eat dinner with both hands or when Elijah needs to go on the potty. Or if I do. It has also been great since the weather has become adequate for playing outside. I can wear her in the Moby and push Eli in his little car. Having use of both hands and keeping Emmy cozy is a lifesaver.
2. Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm. This stuff is great for red bottoms, I use it on Eli too if he needs it. It smells a little medicinal but it works really well.
3. Aden + Anais Swaddle Blankets. Another thing I didn’t have with Eli. These are a breeze to wrap into a swaddle at 3:00 am and they’re such a nice muslin material (and come in awesome patterns). Plus, Emaline can free her hands if she needs them to self soothe, or if she just wants to escape.
4. Easy Snacks. Anything that I can eat with one hand is a bonus.
5. Amazon Prime. Since it was winter here up until this past week, it wasn’t exactly easy to run out of the house with two littles to get one thing we need. So Amazon Prime is so necessary. Diaper pail liners. Pacis for Eli. Pump parts. Nursing Camis. My mailman even knows that I have a tiny baby now and doesn’t ring the doorbell with packages.
6. My iPad. It’s way easier to use the iPad while holding a sleeping baby or nursing than the MacBook. I use the iPad to watch shows during late night nursing sessions (thanks Seth Meyers and Jimmy Fallon)! and Elijah can use the iPad when I have my hands full with Emmy.
The first few weeks with Emaline are a blur. An exhausted, happy blur.